August 2017

678 9101112
131415 16171819

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Thursday, October 15th, 2015 01:50 pm
UK and US crochet use different terms for most crochet stitches, and there is a lot of overlap in the actual words used. This can be confusing, especially for beginners (or people unaware of the duality).

Generally speaking, chain and slip stitch are the same US and UK, but other than that:

US single crochet (sc) = UK double crochet (dc)
US half double crochet (hdc) = UK half treble (htr)
US double crochet (dc) = UK treble crochet (tr)
US triple crochet (tr or trc) = UK double treble (dtr)

So then, how do you know? Heh.

Some patterns will explicitly tell you whether they’re written in US or UK terms. This is the easiest situation. Well, maybe tied for easiest.

Some patterns give full explanations for the terms, e.g. “dc = yo, insert hook into specified stitch, yo, pull loop through, (etc)”, which is the other easiest. (In US terms, sc has no YO before inserting the hook, hdc and dc both have one, tr has two, etc.)

If a pattern uses half double crochet (or half treble crochet) you can know by that which terminology set is being used, because it’s one of the few terms that is unique. It is possible to have a US half triple (example), but that is rare enough that patterns using a US htr will pretty much always define it, and a pattern that uses htr without explanation is probably using the UK htr.

Turning chains can indicate which terminology set is being used, especially with shorter stitches. One turning chain for a dc row? That's UK dc. Two or three? That's US. (But be careful: "ch2 (counts as dc,ch1)" is UK, despite the presence of two chains, because only one of the chains counts as the dc.) "Standard" turning chain height is 1 for US sc, 2 for US hdc, 3 for US dc, 4 for US tr, etc, though it can depend on the designer.

Another probable indicator is if there is a single crochet, which is used in US but not UK, although I have heard rumors that some UK patterns use “single crochet” for slip stitch or some other somesuch. And while the presence of sc means it's probably US, the lack of sc doesn't say anything either way.

If a pattern spells out “triple” vs “treble”, that is also a probable indicator, because triple is usually US and treble is usually UK. But this is iffy. Some people say to look for Britishisms like "miss" instead of "skip", "colour" instead of "color", etc., but again this is not reliable -- a pattern can have British vocabulary and spelling but US crochet terms.

Lastly, if the designer / seller has pictures of the finished object that are clear enough, you can sometimes use that as a judge -- especially when it comes to figuring out whether “dc” is the US dc or the UK dc.

And if all else fails, ask someone else. *grin*


Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


If you are unable to use this captcha for any reason, please contact us by email at

Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.